About Us

1889

The American Pipe Manufacturing Company from Philadelphia
built a water system to serve the town of Greenville with a
population of 8,600. This company was later known as the Paris
Mountain Water Company, a corporation that secured its charter
in South Carolina and the system.

1890

The Number 1 Reservoir was constructed on the northeast slopes
of Paris Mountain and eight miles of 12-inch water main was
installed to the city - providing water service by gravity. This system
began operation in June, 1890.

1899

The Number 2 Reservoir was constructed at a lower elevation on
the side of Paris Mountain. Steam pumps and pressure filters
were installed to deliver water from the Number 2 Reservoir to the
12-inch gravity line.

1918

The Commissioner of Public Works of the City of Greenville
purchased the water system from the Paris Mountain
Water Company for $800,000.

The Commissioners had a vision to purchase a pristine
watershed, resulting in the Table Rock Reservoir,
representing the first time in the nation a water system
had total ownership of all land for a drinking reservoir.

1920s

1950s

The Commissioners bought the North Saluda Watershed,
again securing an extremely pure water source.

1985

The commission accessed Lake Keowee as a water source
for future needs, placing the modern Witty Adkins Water
Treatment Plant into operation.

A beautiful 43,000 square-foot headquarters was built
housing the Management, Administration, Billing, Field
Services, Customer Service and Engineering departments.

1991

2000

The Lyndon B. Stovall Water Treatment Plant in Travelers Rest, which uses
state-of-the-art Dissolved Air Flotation (DAF) technology, filters water almost
ten times clearer than standards require. This is also the case for the
Witty Adkins Water Treatment Plant.


Our History

The American Pipe Manufacturing Company from Philadelphia was persuaded in 1889 to build a water system to serve the town of Greenville with a population of 8,600. This company was later known as the Paris Mountain Water Company, a corporation that secured its charter in South Carolina, and the system operated under that name until 1918. The first reservoir was constructed on the northeast slopes of Paris Mountain and eight miles of a 12-inch water main was installed to the city—providing water service by gravity. This system began operation in June 1890 and 10 years later the second reservoir was constructed at a lower elevation on the side of Paris Mountain. Steam pumps and pressure filters were installed to deliver water from the second reservoir to the 12-inch gravity line.

The Commissioner of Public Works of the City of Greenville has owned its water system since 1918 when the original nucleus of the present system was purchased from the Paris Mountain Water Company for the sum of $800,000. The acquisition was authorized by a City referendum that also approved the issuance of $1 million of general obligation bonds and the establishment of a “Board of Commissioner of Public Works” vested with the authority to acquire, operate and control the water system. The proceeds of the bond issue were used to purchase the facilities and to finance the development of a supplemental water supply on the Enoree River. From the beginning, the Commission has operated Greenville Water as a self-sustaining utility and the original bonds, together with subsequent issues, have been retired solely from System earnings. To more accurately identify the Commission in the public mind with the responsibility and service, the Commission adopted the name “Greenville Water System” for all purposes except legal transactions. This name has been changed to what is now known as Greenville Water.